At the southern lower point of the village there is a spring with running water all year round. Pigi or "Pii" as the villagers call it. The village must have been originally built around it. The area of Pigi must have therefore been the nucleus of the first settlement.
Until this day, the houses stand, amphitheatrically built, around the "zoodotra" (life-giving) spring. From the spring begin the streets, ascending and following the inclination of the soil. All of them paved, they blend in with the stone walls and the old cobbled streets. The streets are narrow and very often lead to dead ends with the balconies so close to each other that it seems as though they are touching. It is said that when they wanted to make a street, its width was determined on the basis of whether an animal laden with a sack of carobs could fit to walk on it.
The arrangement of the settlement is characterized by the dense construction and total introversion of the houses. Life took place in the back yards, not in the streets. The doorways of the old houses with the lintel are huge in order to allow easy access to the farmer's laden animals and lead directly to "iliako" (sun-room). Here, many utilities can be found. The oven, the "fournoudi", the washing trough, the coal jar, the potstand, sometimes wooden, sometimes on a bench with a semicircular arch. Then comes the inner courtyard, a green garden with basil and begonias. Then the "palace", or "dichoro" as is known elsewhere, a large comfortable room that served both as a bedroom and as a dining room or storage for the crop.
A very impressive element in the construction of the houses in Lefkara is the arch. Whether on the facades of the houses or on their interior, well-built with nice proportions, round and sometimes pointed they are influenced, according to the experts, by Frankish and Venetian standards. Tiles were introduced in Lefkara at the beginning of the 20th century and since they were more convenient and solid, they prevailed.
In the fifteen years from 1920 to 1936, which was the time Lefkara flourished due to the trade of embroidery, a series of mansions, which mainly belonged to embroidery-traders, were built. And although they were built with stone and tile, their design and structure was loaned from abroad. A top monument of folk architecture in Lefkara is the church of the Holy Cross which is dated to the 14th century. The Church, on its eastern part, is of cross-in-square rhythm, whereas its most recent section is of 19th century Cypriot rhythm. The wood-carved iconostasis of the church that was gilded in 1761 is of great value.
The religiousness of the residents contributed to the construction, both inside and outside the village, of about fourteen chapels, some of which are excellent examples of Byzantine architecture.